EU Citizen Registration Certificate: legalize your stay

EU Citizen Registration Certificate: you will need this to legalize your residency in Portugal. You will also use this document for access to public health care.

As a Citizen of the European Union, you have the right to live in Portugal if you wish so. We will ask however, for your EU registration certificate, Certificado de Registo de Cidadão da União Europeia, in Portugal. Not to worry though, this is easy-peasy!

If you are a citizen of an EU or EEA country, you can easily do this document at Câmara Municipal de Mafra or Loja do cidadão. Provided you live in this area.

Do I really need an EU Citizen Registration Certificate?

You should have a Certificado de Registo de Cidadão da União Europeia if you are living in Portugal for more than 3 months. This document is important because it legalizes your stay.

What will I use my EU Citizen Registration Certificate for?

In Ericeira, for instance, you will need your Certificado de Registo de Cidadão da União Europeia at the health center. This is the document currently being required for registering at the national health system. This will generate your Numero de Utente, user number.

Likewise, to legalize your EU/EEA driving license, you will need your EU registration certificate. Residents are recommended to inform the authorities about this change of address, within the 60 days following the first 3 months.

On top of that, you will also use the EU registration certificate to renew your driving license. Though, you will only need to do this, when yours expires, if you lose or damage it, or either if it is stolen.

When shall I do my EU Citizen Registration Certificate?

You should request your certificate within your first year in Portugal, and from your 4th month here.

However, if you apply for your EU registration certificate from the 12th month onwards, you will have, first, to pay a fine at the Portuguese immigrant services, SEF. Only then, will you be able to request your document at Câmara Municipal or Loja do Cidadão?

What documents do I need to bring?

Bring along your buying/renting contract or Atestado de Residência. If working in Portugal, bring also a document from the tax authority, finanças, Declaração de Inscrição no Registo/Início de Actividade.

I am at Câmara Municipal de Mafra / Loja do cidadão. What do I do now?

Arriving at Câmara Municipal de Mafra or Loja do cidadão, ask the hostess at the entrance for the certificado de Registro de Cidadão da União Europeia. The person will show you where to go, which ticket to take and where to wait for your turn. From there, you will just need to show the documents we talked about.

The document will be ready in 3 or 4 days. You will have to collect this from Câmara Municipal or Loja do cidadão yourself and pay a 15 euros fee.

Follow us

Follow us on Instagram and Facebook, and keep up with our day-to-day in town.

Leave a Reply

Back To Top